Mission to MOLA

As I creep towards decrepitude (I'm nearly 56!) I look back at at fabulous 40 year professional life as a bass player, and I have seen some amazing places and met some incredible people, including being privileged to meet and shake hands with Ella Fitzgerald.

Since 2005 I have been in a "day job" as well, as Performance Librarian at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (formerly known as the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama) where I manage all performance material and advise on copyright and associated institutions (PRS, PPL) as well as doing lots of gigs at night.

Right now, I'm pretty excited as I've flown out to New Orleans for the MOLA (Major Orchestra Librarian's Association) Conference which is happening over the weekend of 11-14th May.

It is great to get the chance to meet people doing the same job as me, as there is normally only one in any institution, so one tends to be a bit "out on a limb"! At the conference there will be many interesting sessions, on new media licensing and Latin American orchestral music, to name but two. Also as part of the agenda, I have the chance to attend various concerts taking place in the city, and one that I dare not miss is the New Leviathan Oriental Foxtrot Orchestra - a name to be reckoned with!

I shall be doing a daily update to this blog whilst in the USA, and let you know all of the news and events as they happen. This will include any gigs I attend, especially if I get some good traditional Dixie Jazz.

The fun started when I flew into Louis Armstrong International Airport - as the great man himself said often, "and that's Jazz!"

Friday 4 May 2012

Nearly ready.....

Well, the days are rushing by and I am nearly ready for "the off". It's an early start from Glasgow Airport at 07:15am ( on 10th May), and I finally reach NOLA at 10:55pm (local time!). I'm useless at maths (all bass players count up to 4 very well, but struggle after that), but I think I am travelling (via London Heathrow and Miami) for around 20 or so hours......

I got an email introduction to my conference mentor a day or so ago. She seems a lovely lady, by the name of Mary Plaine and she is the Principal Librarian of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra - I feel very honoured! As a new attendee at conference, it will be great to have a friendly face/ person to turn to in moments of confusion.

I reckon that's all the news until I set off on my intrepid travels - I can taste my first mint julep already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to get your feedback to my blog.